Volvo Cars has chosen HERE to power connected navigation for the next-generation in-car control system for new and future Volvo models as part of a multi-year agreement between the two companies.
Volvo’s in-car system, called Sensus, offers customers a fully connected experience and incorporates advanced maps and services enabled by the HERE location cloud to provide drivers with smart guidance both in and out of the car. The first model featuring the new Sensus system is the XC90, Volvo’s new luxury SUV which started shipping earlier this year.
“The Volvo and HERE teams have developed a system that enhances driver safety and comfort, and which at the same time is beautiful to use,” said Ogi Redzic, senior vice president of Automotive at HERE.
“Our agreement with Volvo extends a long and fruitful partnership between our two companies,” said Bruno Bourguet, senior vice president of Sales and Business Development at HERE. “We look forward to continuing to develop great experiences for Volvo drivers.”
Volvo drivers will benefit from a range of data and services powered by HERE, including:
- High quality maps, featuring an extensive range of attributes for ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) that support the partial automation of the car for safer and more comfortable driving. These include precise road geometry necessary for adaptive cruise control and curve speed warnings, as well as traffic sign detection.
- Turn-by-turn voice-guided navigation in more than 50 languages.
- Local search, enabling the driver or passenger to find nearby points of interest, such as restaurants and shops and related information including opening hours and phone numbers.
- Send-to-car functionality, which means drivers or passengers can pre-plan a route on their smartphone or tablet and send it directly to the car.
- Find Your Car, which enables the driver to use their smartphone to see their car on the map and get directions to it.
The large tablet-like interface of the Sensus in-car control system beautifully displays maps to deliver the information the driver needs across multiple screens. Vital information – including navigation routing from HERE – is projected on the heads-up display on the lower part of the windscreen. The user interface also includes thumb-reach controls on the steering wheel and voice control, enabling easy access to a multitude of navigation, infotainment and cloud-based services that reflect the luxury car experience that Volvo Cars delivers.
For more information and images of the HERE connected navigation for the Volvo XC90, please visit our HERE 360 blog.